J5/V2 user - Need a little advice on upgrading my kit for Macro photography of miniature models

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
iserp Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: J5/V2 user - Need a little advice on upgrading my kit for Macro photography of miniature models

I have used extension tubes (a set made of a 10mm and a 16mm) with both the 30-110 and the 70-300. I like the results, but I have not compared them to other solutions.

The combination with the 30-110 is very easy to use, as it is very small and manegeable, specially for insects near the ground. However, it loses contrast easily if used at 110mm at its widest aperture. I try to use it in the middle of the range (60-80mm) and usually stopped down (f/8). I guess that makes it too dark for inside shots. Here are a few examples (I think I have stacked both the 10 and 16 mm tubes for all of these):

The 70-300 is more difficult to handle. I would say that at 70mm, the focusing distance and magnification is not too different to the 30-110. However, the longer you go, the less magnification you have (I guess I could use longer extension tubes, but i dont have them). Here are a few examples:

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow