D850 Manual Mode Auto ISO Underexposing

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
92Diggers Junior Member • Posts: 31
D850 Manual Mode Auto ISO Underexposing

Hi

I have moved from a Z6 to a D850, so I am having to backwards train on Viewfinder results (I miss the WYSIWYG of Mirrorless). So please be gentle!

I shoot quite a lot of wildlife, predominantly at the lens widest aperture. I shoot in manual mode, adjusting the shutter speed according to the situation.

As I rarely have time to adjust the ISO on the fly, I shoot in Auto ISO. What I am finding is that some of the subject matter photographs (a bird for example) are underexposed because the subject is heavily backlit or the scene around the subject is brighter (not because I don't have a high enough ISO).

I use matrix metering - would centre weighted or spot metering help in this situation?

Would using exposure compensation help? The problem with that is, I won't know if I then might blow out any highlights (in the subjects eye for example)?

Am I just going to have to live with the fact that Auto ISO isn't perfect?

92Diggers's gear list:92Diggers's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow