Non Destructive Frequency Separation

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colin Creevey Regular Member • Posts: 335
Non Destructive Frequency Separation

Hello all,

I've been spending a bit of time watching the university of Youtube on skin retouching and have some *basic* questions.

From what I have seen, frequency separation is a common technique used and produces better results that using the texture/clarity sliders in LR/PS (correct me if I am wrong).

After watching many videos I see that different people have their own different way to do it. Some use Gaussian blur while others use surface blur etc.  I've also noticed that different people use different tools (e.g mixer brush tool).
One thing I noticed is that the vast majority of tutorials I watched were on destructive FS.  My question is, what method of non-destructive FS do you like/recommend and why do you recommend this method?  If you have a link to a specific tutorial I would be very thankful.
Tutorials like this non-destructive frequency separation tutorial use smart objects so you can always go back and edit the underlying image.  I understand that but when they duplicate this smart object (for the high frequency/details layer) wouldn't that mean you can no longer go back and edit the underlying image as now you are dealing with two separate smart objects?

For example, say I went back and adjusted using liquify, wouldn't that present an issue?  Is there a way I can go back and edit the underlying images without having to do the FS all over again?
Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow