Sony a7III (and 7rII) + Sigma MC-11 + Canon 24-70 II face detect issue

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rocketfrog New Member • Posts: 3
Sony a7III (and 7rII) + Sigma MC-11 + Canon 24-70 II face detect issue

Hello everyone!

I ran into an interesting problem - when using the setup Sony a7III (and 7rII) + Sigma MC-11 + Canon 24-70 II + Godox x1 transmitter, in the face detection or eye detection mode, I have a front focus of 30-40 cm. Нe's just huge. It seems to me that from the beginning of use everything was fine, but recently I just noticed.

I have many different sigma and canon lenses - the only problem is with this lens.

If the model looks into the camera and the face is located in the upper thirds of the screen: in range 24-35mm - the effect is very strong, at 50-70mm the front focus is much less but present.

If the model is not looking at the camera - looking sideways, there is no problem! All OK! Focus exactly on the eyelashes. Although Sony doesn't even guarantee it will work - it works awesome!

if the face is in the center of the frame, it is almost always in focus.

The lens focuses instantly, does not breath, everything looks great when shooting.

In all other modes, everything is just awesome! always right on target, with or without flashes - everything is wonderful!

For each camera, I have my own sigma adapter - on both cameras, when switching adapters, the same thing. One adapter with firmware 2018, the second from the most recent 2020 - does not change anything.

Other сanon lenses work amazingly in all modes!

Even Canon 50/1.2, which has been gathering dust on the shelves for a long time due to the difficulty of working with it - got a new life on Sony a7III camera and the number of rejects decreased from 80% to 1%

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thank!

Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony a7 III Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow