Canon 5D MKII plus 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM II EF-Mount

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SteveJ777 New Member • Posts: 3
Canon 5D MKII plus 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM II EF-Mount

Hi folks, been lurking on this forum and finally registered to ask a question.

I'm looking to buy some good photo equipment...but also relatively cheaply! As much as an R6 or R5 looks exciting to own, it would really be a foolish purchase for my likely level of use.

I would like a lens that offers some versatility while I figure out what I use the camera most for - that is why I'm thinking the zoom lens.

Prices for a 5D MKII plus the 24-105 F4 L IS USM lens seem quite reasonable - around $1100 from MBP. So even if lose interest (or get really interested and decide to upgrade!) a few years down the road there is only so much room for depreciation.

Is there anything about this camera/lens combo that make them a poor choice for someone looking to learn the hobby, and potentially grow with? I understand it was considered a professional camera back in the day, so thinking that should mean it was ONCE high end.

Any camera/lens upgrades/downgrades/alternative that would give me a comparable image quality/growth potential for a similar price?

Am I crazy for looking at such ancient technology...should I be considering newer similarly prices cameras that aren't full frame instead? How would they compare?

One other thing of note..my daughter would like to graduate her cat photography (she takes a lot!) from her iPhone to a better camera...would the lens I picked be a suitable candidate for that?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow