A 85mm Sony alternative to Canon 135mm F/2L?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KShr New Member • Posts: 13
A 85mm Sony alternative to Canon 135mm F/2L?

Hello

I've recently made a switch from Canon 6D to a Sony A7C and I'm loving it. Currently using it with the new Sigma 35mm F/2, and it's a joy to use and the pictures are coming out great.

When I was on Canon my two main lenses were the Sigma 24-35mm F/2 and Canon 135mm F/2L. I find that my new Sigma (35/2) is on par with my old Sigma (24-35/2) in the image quality department — the resolution, the colors, the contrast are very pleasing on both of these Sigmas.

I'm looking for a longer portrait lens for my new Sony. Canon 135 F/2L was my favorite lens hands down. The quality of the images that it gave me were phenomenal and I'm not sure I need anything better, IQ-wise. The one problem I had with 135 F/2 is that it's too long. So I've decided my next "for-portraits" lens will be an 85mm. As I want it to be compact, the only two lenses on my radar are the Sony and the Batis 85/1.8.

While Canon 135 F/2L is one of the Canon's top lenses, it's pretty old (released in 1996, wow!) and the newer cheaper lenses like Sony FE85 1.8 seem to be matching it on paper — tack-sharp from wide-open, great colors, great contrast, good bokeh.

Looking at all the reviews, I'm not sure I can see the difference between the Sony and the Batis, except in the CA in the very high contrast scenarios, so I would assume the two lenses are largely the same in the image quality department.

Have anyone used both Canon 135 F/2L and any of the E-mount 85mm/1.8? What was your experience? How would you compare these lenses?

Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EOS 6D Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow