Backcountry skiing with the EM-1 II & 12-40

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,405
Backcountry skiing with the EM-1 II & 12-40

This was on the 27th. The snowpack in Washington has been fairly weak and unpredictable with elevated hazard throughout late January and February. The best way to deal with this is just to limit terrain exposure, as with a highly variable snowpack, a snowpack observation doesn't really tell you much. Avalanche crowns in some parts of the Cascades have reached 10' in thickness on occasion with crowns sometimes extending for a thousand feet or more across the tops of certain slopes.

My Sister and her Husband were my partners. I first met Eric in 1971 skiing at Alpental on a memorable day with very low density snow up to chest deep. It was still the deepest snow I've ever skied.

I chose the EM-1 II over the EM-1 I on this day because of the potential for high DR on snow. I shot jpegs and had plenty of headroom as I also used the Highlight and Shadow button to push down highlights a bit. I prefocused all the images in MF with F7.1 guaranteeing depth of field at these focal lengths. I shot each image as a single exposure rather than CAF.

Contours in sun and shade and elegant Subalpine Firs with some Larch.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow