100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Geekapoo
OP Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Re: 100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

dcstep wrote:

Geekapoo wrote:

john_name_taken wrote:

Pete_vB wrote:

This could be a dumb idea, but I'd consider a used A9 (with the A1 out there should be a bunch with basically zero shutter count), the 200-600 and one of these:

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/field-optics-research-photopodtm-harness-kit.html

Never used it, no experience, but I wonder if it could address your issue as well as get you out over a grand less than you're currently thinking. Then in a couple years as the A1 comes down you can trade up...

The a9 + 200-600 weigh 6 lbs. I don’t think the harness can hold them, and even if it can, they won’t balance well. The center of the gravity is somewhere along the lens collar, not the camera.

Interesting contraption (thanks Pete!) but also think weight distribution might be an issue. Regardless, I cannot wear heavy backpacks or have a camera strap pressing down on the right side between neck and shoulder blade if there is a lot of weight as it can aggravate the pinched nerve. Ahhh, the trials and tribulations of osteoarthritis...but overall, consider myself very lucky/blessed. I'd love to be able to use the 200-600 (it's the obvious route to go) but luckily I've had other options the past couple of years. Just trying to further optimize the # of keepers if using APS-C or FF and have a fallback of the RX10IV, which is pretty darn stellar but has it's own set of issues. Cheers.

Given your severe load bearing constraints, I don't understand why you're looking beyond the RX10IV. It has excellent AF and IQ. Any full-frame solution is likely to be too heavy for the usage that your proposed.

Hey Dave. Thanks for the reply. You are right about the RX10IV. The issues with that camera are wirh higher ISO,  sometimes busy/harsh OOF backgrounds and wanting to increase crop potential.

I currently use an XT3/100-400 combo so know weight-wise, an A7RIV or A9 /100-400 combo should be ok..and when not, just use the RX10IV.  Just looking to increase % keepers (the RX10IV being better than the Fuji!) and have more flexibility re crop of images captured using a FF sensor.

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow