How long to keep clients scanned negatives?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
filmrescue Contributing Member • Posts: 874
How long to keep clients scanned negatives?

One of the services we offer is the scanning of old negatives.

Once the scanning is done, we deliver the scans through a paid access gallery for the amount we're charging for the scanning work. From that gallery the client can order prints if they want. In our email to give the client gallery access, we tell them if they don't want to order prints, to order the return of the negatives and pay the return S&H fee. We do this to avoid double charging for return fees.  If they order prints, the negatives are automatically included with the prints.
At this point we have about a 100 orders up to just over a year old where people have never ordered prints or requested negatives returned. We will try to contact them again to get them to order their negatives returned.
I'm curious to know people's thoughts about at what point are we no longer responsible to store people's negatives? I'm really reluctant to dispose of them and will likely keep them indefinitely but I'd like to know what people think is a reasonable amount of time to still be responsible for these.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow