100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Geekapoo
OP Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Re: 100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

fieldray wrote:

Is your issue with weight for carrying equipment (on your back) or handling camera plus lens when taking photos? If the latter, a monopod might solve the problem. I use both the 100-400 and the 200-600, and for birds and small wildlife they are in different leagues. If you must stick with the smaller lens, I would I would go with the A7Riv. F/5.6 on the A7Riv vs. F/8.0 with TC is pretty significant for me.

I have both issues..weight when hiking (knee) and handling the camera/lens when shooting (the latter dependent on whether my cervical radiculopathy/pinch nerve flares up). Definitely need to steer clear of the 200-600.

I currently shoot with the Fuji 100-400, which is the same ~weight as the Sony 100-400. I use my Sony RX10IV if my cervical radiculopathy flares up or am concerned that using heavier gear might end up cause pain. Thanks for the suggestion of the monopod, which I do have and will occasionally use.

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow