100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Turnanewleaf Regular Member • Posts: 357
Re: 100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

Geekapoo wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

Here you go, I took my A9 and 100-400 + TC to the zoo for a little fun recently and these are just a few of the shots that I can show on here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62733985

Very nice photos! However, I never had an doubt that the A9/100-400/1.4xTE can take good pictures, especially of stationary animals (where one is not having to deal with the effectiveness of AF-C/tracking or EVF blackout). I've no doubt that the combo you use is stellar for BIF..but you are limited to a 560mm max reach.

I'm trying to sort out how best to move forward to go >600mm and increase the # of keepers vs my current setup without having to use the 200-600. APS-C seems to be the answer, using a FF sensor camera in crop mode, especially if optimizing ergonomics (and EVF resolution) is a priority (otherwise an A6XXX will do). Plus, with the setup I've just described, one can use the 1.4xTE for even longer reach.

Once you go full frame, you never go back

Turnanewleaf's gear list:Turnanewleaf's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a1 Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow