Sony A9 II or wait for the A7 IV ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
syrcular Regular Member • Posts: 183
Sony A9 II or wait for the A7 IV ?

I have some questions around the A9 II.

I've been an A7III/A7rIII user for a couple of years now. I enjoy both cameras, but recently got my hands on the A7sIII, and sold my A7III in order to get the A7sIII for it's better video specs, improved autofocus speed and accuracy (compared to the A7III and A7rIII) and the improved ergonomics.  I would love to get a second body that shares the ergonomics and autofocus of the A7sIII but purely for photography.
The A7rIV is overkill in resolution, and I have no need to have a 61 megapixel sensor, as I mainly shoot documentary photography with my Sony Alpha system. The A7rIII has been great for the occasional cropping and high resolution portrait need, but I don't need anymore than that.
The A1 is just at another league and I don't think really fits my use case, for a number of reasons, mainly in price, and also because I like having multiple camera bodies.
So that leaves the A9 II, which seems to be the right midpoint camera, when it comes to autofocus, ergonomics, and speed.

One of the features I like with the new Sony Alpha camera design is a noticeable dampening of the shutter mechanism when in mechanical shutter.  I noticed that with the A7rIV, and A7sIII, the shutter is much quieter than the the previous versions. I'm curious does the A9 II also share the same mechanical shutter mechanism? I know I can also leverage a phenomenal electronic shutter which is vertually or literally silent but just curious if that mechanical shutter is the same as the rIV and sIII?  Sometimes I just like the feel of a mechanical shutter opening and closing, when taking a shot.

Also with 2021 in full swing with cameras releasing regularly, is it sound for me to be looking at the A9 II or should I be waiting for more releases to come in camera bodies. Like I said, ultimately I would love a 24megapixel version of my A7sIII, with even paired down video specs since I have the A7sIII already. Is this the A9 II, or do I need to wait for something like the A7IV?

Would love your opinions and sorry for the long post....

Sony a7 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow