100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Geekapoo
OP Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Re: 100-400 paired with A9/1.4x TE or A7IV in crop mode?

aSevenArr wrote:

Here you go, I took my A9 and 100-400 + TC to the zoo for a little fun recently and these are just a few of the shots that I can show on here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62733985

Very nice photos! However, I never had an doubt that the A9/100-400/1.4xTE can take good pictures, especially of stationary animals (where one is not having to deal with the effectiveness of AF-C/tracking or EVF blackout). I've no doubt that the combo you use is stellar for BIF..but you are limited to a 560mm max reach.

I'm trying to sort out how best to move forward to go >600mm and increase the # of keepers vs my current setup without having to use the 200-600. APS-C seems to be the answer, using a FF sensor camera in crop mode, especially if optimizing ergonomics (and EVF resolution) is a priority (otherwise an A6XXX will do). Plus, with the setup I've just described, one can use the 1.4xTE for even longer reach.

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow