Mount Adapter EF-EOS R as an extension tube?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lensguy1401 New Member • Posts: 4
Mount Adapter EF-EOS R as an extension tube?

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I've not seen this issue brought up before in this forum nor in any discussion of the use of this EF/EF-S-to-R adapter. To my knowledge, any extension of a lens away from its camera mount (via extension tube, bellows, etc.) will do three things: 1) allow the lens to focus closer, 2) increase the lens' magnification, and 3) cause the lens to no longer focus to infinity.

For example, attaching the Mount Adapter EF-EOS R between let's say, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 lens and an EOS 6R would: 1) shorten that lens' minimum focusing distance, 2) as the Mount Adapter is about 25mm deep, the lens would now achieve approx. 1/2 lifesize magnification, and 3) that lens would no longer be able to focus to infinity.  In other words, in addition to what the adapter is designed for, it also functions as an "accidental extension tube" with all its effects.

If I am correct, It seems that Canon would bring that up in their product info, specs, etc., and that all those reviews of this Canon adapter (and its 3rd-party competitors) would as well.  Am I missing something?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow