12-100 Pro (and Cons)

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
denisdenis
denisdenis New Member • Posts: 13
12-100 Pro (and Cons)

Back in the days when I was a Canon user with the 1D mkIII, one of my fav lenses was the 70-200 f4 L.

I moved to Olympus (via Nikon, don't ask) to save on weight and size, so as to be able to go out with my gear without feeling the strain.

As a result I focused on primes, and now have a collection of amazing ones.

Forward about a decade and I finally bit the bullet and bought this zoom lens, the 12-100 f4. Bigger and heavier so I hum-and-hawed for a while, fearing it would stay in the flat more than anything.

But the reverse has happened: I leave others in and only go out with it...

It may be the honeymoon period, and it's also true it certainly can't do everything I want a lens to. But it gives me versatility and reach, neither of which I had before, at least not without swapping lenses. And it's nice.

My biggest concern was IQ, and I am actually very impressed: it's very good, sharp all the way (great contrast compared to an awful Nikon zoom lens I owned previously). Its image signature is very neutral (compared to the Canon 70-200 for instance), which may please some and displease others.

I would have preferred the zoom to be internal, and I almost lost my poo-poo accidentally moving the AF/MF ring to MF. I didn't know that feature and thought I'd broken lens or camera. So keep it in mind: there's a switch ring!

Other than that, all very good. It's not as big and heavy as I feared. But the very bad thing about it is that it's reawakened my desire for more reach now, and that sucks.:-)

denisdenis's gear list:denisdenis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH +1 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS Pro
Lens • Micro Four Thirds
Announced: Sep 19, 2016
denisdenis's score
Average community score
Canon EOS-1D Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow