A7 III Timelapses - wearing down mechanical shutter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
indigoshrine Forum Member • Posts: 69
A7 III Timelapses - wearing down mechanical shutter

I am interested into getting more into timelapses, but wonder about the wear on the shutter. With frequent usage, this would quickly add up to the 200.000 actuations Sony 'commits' for the A7 III.

Background: I got the Move-Shoot-Move Tracking Rotator which normally I just use for Star Tracking. It also serves as a MSM rotator though (connected to camera hot shoe), which would support nice timelapses. Unfortunately, the rotation only works if silent mode in the camera is deactivated.  That means, while in still I can do timelapses with the a7's built-in timelapse function in silent mode, if I want to use it with the rotator I am stuck with the mechanical shutter.

Did a quick research in Google, and it seems the majority considers the wear negligible. Obviously, it is gear that is supposed to be used. I just try to weigh in if instead of wearing down the shutter, it might be more reasonable to just get a dedicated timelapse mount and then use the silent mode instead, without any further worries.

This is assuming that the limitation of having to deactivate silent mode is specific to the rotator I own. If however this is generally not possible without deactivating silent mode for these kind of devices, I assume there will be no other choice.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

indigoshrine's gear list:indigoshrine's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow