J5/V2 user - Need a little advice on upgrading my kit for Macro photography of miniature models

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Naia Junior Member • Posts: 42
J5/V2 user - Need a little advice on upgrading my kit for Macro photography of miniature models

Hi all, I am new member of the forum, I’ve been reading them for a long while, and finally decided to take the plunge and join in

I’m so happy to see there is still some love for Nikon 1 out there. Still makes me so sad that they are discontinued!

I am a devoted Nikon 1 user, I just love the flexibility and portability the system offers, and I’m always amazed at the image quality delivered by such a small sensor.

During Lockdown, I have been really enjoying Nikon 1, and I’m currently trying to fill the gaps in my kit, while there is still the option to order Nikon 1 accessories.

My current dilemma is finding the best macro solution for my Nikon 1 kit.

Current Kit:

N1 Cameras:

Nikon V2 body

Nikon J5 body

Flashes:

Nikon 1 SB-N7 external flash for V2

Lenses:

1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8

1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8

1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2

1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6

1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6

1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-Zoom

1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6

1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (recently purchased online and eagerly awaiting its arrival)

Nikon FX Prime Lenses (considering purchasing a second hand FT1 adapter for Nikon one to use these)

Nikon 60mm f2.8 G AF-S ED Micro Lens

Nikon 50mm f1.4 G AF-S Lens

So the dilemma is what is the best way to achieve closeup photography with this Nikon one set up. The main examples of how I want to use macro is for indoor photography of miniature models, and other close up work, as well as some outdoor photography close ups like plants, insects etc.

I have spent a lot of time on this forum, and other sites researching and have found quite a few options. The three that are available to me right now are:

1. N1-CL1 MC CLOSE-UP LENS 40.5mm - Filter attachment will fit 3 of my N1 lenses (10mm, 30-110mm and 10-30mm) (link:https://store.nikon.co.uk/n1-cl1-mc-close-up-lens-40.5mm/VJG00002/details) no longer available through Nikon, but I’ve found a few on other sites Price around £25 there is also a Polaroid option which sounds similar and offers more filter sizes, I don’t know if anyone has tried these?
  2. Extension Tubes - (I’ve managed to find a set of these which are AFS on amazon, the brand I’m considering is Movo. Three tubes with AFS connectors Price £57 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Movo-Photo-Extension-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B00GSCJSS4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=movo+af+extension+tubes+v2&qid=1614593344&sr=8-2)
  3. FT1 Adapter to use with my FX 60mm Micro lens. Price around £110

I’m really keen to know if there is anyone on here that’s tried two or more of these options? Or has a preference, I’m not too fussed about the cost difference between the three, I know that the FT1 adapter has some limitations, such as only being able to use the central focus point, but I don’t mind that, if it’s the best option image quality wise. Any advice, links or comparison photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for any advice/help you can offer

Naia's gear list:Naia's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +8 more
Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow