one 150-400 photo + another

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoanKauai
JoanKauai Regular Member • Posts: 192
one 150-400 photo + another

It's been very windy here on Kauai. Yesterday with salt mist and drizzle seemed like time to try out the big 150-400 ($750) lens hood in the field. I wrapped the camouflage tape around it to prevent scratching. The lens with its hood fits nicely in the Think Tank Digital Holster 150 and is just fine for short distances. The lens hood is light and from now on I will be using it, even though I was initially skeptical and purchased a rubber 95mm lens hood as a backup and/or alternative.

Also, I attached the supplied camera strap to the lens for the first time. This turns out to be great. With the foot facing to the right, in front of the camera grip, the strap allows the camera to hang perfectly. So for transport, the 150 holster works fine, while for walking around with the camera/lens outside of its bag, the supplied camera strap is wonderful. And for a long hike of course, the camera and lens needs to be in a a backpack.

Anyway, as I've mentioned before, the red-footed boobies are starting to breed at Kilauea Point Lighthouse. I discovered a nest that was visible from an outlook near a parking spot. Here is my best shot, slightly cropped to center the image. It was hand held although I was bracing against a wire fence. It was very windy with gusts moving the camera around, making composition difficult.

Red-footed booby at nest, Kilauea Point Lighthouse, Kauai, Hawaii

This is possibly a female tending newly laid eggs. I will check again next week. She was briefly visited by another bird who might be its mate. Next week I will bring a tripod because of the wind.

And as a reminder never to leave the camera at home, I took the following shot while having a picnic at Lydgate Park. Chickens are feral though out Kauai, so I believe this still can count as wildlife To get close to the ground, I held the camera upside down using the battery grip. The photo is uncropped.

Feral chicken hen at Lydgate Park, Kauai.

This shot reminded me that despite all the attention we're now paying to the big lenses, the most important factor in wildlife photography is to get close to the subject. -- j

joanroughgarden.smugmug.com

JoanKauai's gear list:JoanKauai's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +18 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow