Which kit? X-T3 + 16-80 (used), X-H1 + 16-55 (used), or X-S10 + 16-80 (new)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Somnambulist Squirrel Regular Member • Posts: 149
Which kit? X-T3 + 16-80 (used), X-H1 + 16-55 (used), or X-S10 + 16-80 (new)

I sold off my Sony A7Rii and 24, 35 and 85mm primes (I never liked the degree of fiddling I needed to do with Sony raw files to get the colors I wanted), and am looking to move to a Fuji kit. I went back and forth between Fuji and a Z6, but came down to the fact that, as primarily a hobbyist (I take on only very occasional contract work) with a family, I am really trying to dial back the amount of time I spend in front of my computer editing. I generally really like the look, especially the colors, I see in OOC Fuji jpgs, and I appreciate the ability to process in camera.

Most of my shooting is landscape (with a fair amount of nightscape/astro-landscape), townscape and documentary style work. I particularly enjoy tele-landscapes. I do occasional portraits, but I’m not by any means expert at them. I enjoy street shooting, and I take images of action sports (alpine skiing, mtb), outdoor activities (hiking, paddling) and family. I periodically shoot events and theater productions in our community. I don’t shoot video. I think it’d be neat to learn, but I feel like I have a ways to go in learning photography before I dive into videography.

https://jasonduquette-hoffman.smugmug.com/browse

I take my camera just about everywhere. It goes in and out of bags, spends time on the strap of my backpack or belt, parked on a Capture Clip, etc. I hike with it, bike with it, and ski tour with it. It gets cold, warm, but rarely really wet (I try to be careful). Size and durability, therefore, are relevant considerations.

I also love shooting with vintage manual primes, including telephoto lenses, and often use my 400mm Tokina manual lens handheld (!). I am frequently moving quickly enough (keeping up with my family) that, if I have to set up a tripod I might not bother to get the shot.

I am mostly convinced that I will be happy enough with the IQ of any of these, even coming from my A7Rii. I also use a Sony a6300 frequently, and found it to be very satisfactory IQ wise, for most things I do. I am sure the Fujis will be better in most ways and for most of what I do. I have found enough examples of each of the above to know that I can find any of these in my budget. I can’t spend more, or I would just get an X-t4 and be done with it. Our budget generally doesn’t accommodate a lot of upgrading, so I’ll be sticking with this new kit for a while.

What is the wisdom of the collective?

Somnambulist Squirrel's gear list:Somnambulist Squirrel's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +9 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z6 Sony a6300 Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow