Fantail feeding cuckoo chick (high ISO images)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Denjw
Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,736
Fantail feeding cuckoo chick (high ISO images)

A birding friend alerted me to this behaviour and location.

Those not familiar with this behaviour Cuckoos don't bother building their own nests - they just lay eggs that perfectly mimic those of other birds and take over their nests. They will even push out eggs or chicks of the original nest builders.

A Pallid Cuckoo chick was occupying a Rufous Fantail nest situated on the banks of local river under a dark shady canopy of trees.

A Rufous Fantail adult was feeding the cuckoo chick. The fantail was only at the nest for a couple of seconds each time feeding the chick insects before flying off to capture more insects.

The poor light made it a challenge to get a fast enough shutter speed and I was shooting at ISOs 3200-6400 which is way above what I prefer (my preferred maximum 1600). So some shots have motion blur because of the slow shutter speeds, particularly the chick which went into a frenzy each time the fantail arrived.

I processed images in PSE using ACR and applied Topaz Denoise AI using AI Clear.

Cuckoo chick was almost too big for the nest which can take 2-3 fantail chicks

Starting to get excited that fantail is to arrive with food

Fantail arrives with food

Feeding about to commence

Hope you enjoy

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow