Experience with sending in decentered lenses? Sony E 16-55mm 2.8 G

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ziginox Junior Member • Posts: 39
Experience with sending in decentered lenses? Sony E 16-55mm 2.8 G

So, I purchased the 16-55 2.8 back at the start of October. Due to pandemic and other reasons, I haven't had a chance to go out and shoot with it lately. That, and most of my compositions apparently favor having the subject on the right. Anyway, I was doing something a bit more technically-minded with the lens this week, and noticed the left side is very soft compared to the right. I looked back through my shots, and while it isn't as evident, I can definitely see the softness appearing in some of the first shots I took with the lens. Obviously, I'm out of the retailer's return/exchange time by now, but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with warranty service for these sort of issues.

The work surface was as parallel to the camera as it could possibly be. Images were shot with flash, ISO100, 1/160, f/8. I disabled all corrections for the first image, and I believe they were on for the previews below.

Here is the image that made me realize something wasn't right, take a look at 100% on the left side:

And here's an image where I rotated the subject 180 degrees, and then rotated the image back in post, with the original image compared:

I know it's pixel peeping at this point, but with this type of work I want to be able to see the fine details of the subject, all the way across the image.

My question is, does this look bad enough that Sony would repair it, and has anyone had experience sending lenses in for an issue like this?

Ziginox's gear list:Ziginox's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow