the right spec PC for great photo editing

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fletchdirect Junior Member • Posts: 31
the right spec PC for great photo editing

Hi All

Am thinking about upgrading my PC - its about 13yrs old now and was good when new but feeling the itch:

Intel i7 975@ 3.33ghz, 12gb ram, Geforce GTX285 1gb video card, windows 7 64bit running 2k resolution into a Benq monitor. Lightroom 5.3. Canon 5DSR and Nikon Coolscan 9000 medium format film scanner are my sources.

I don't seem to come across much advice as to the best PC spec for photo editing and showing max picture quality and resolution of my work. I appreciate moving to a 4k monitor and video card is a logical step - but what should be on my priority list? Do I need to go overboard on processor speed, ram or should it all be down to the monitor and the right software? Lightroom has served me well for what I need - I just sharpen and adjust the exposure, very mild cropping and thats it - and my workflow is TIFF files from there.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on any key considerations to bear in mind when speccing my next PC, monitor and , to build this around picture quality, sharpness and shall we say just even more stunning looking results. What are the priorities to spec?

Thanks

Julian

Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow