In buying up, what about lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 428
In buying up, what about lenses?

My current camera, the Canon 6DII, takes really good images at its price point of $1,400. But the 6DII isn't on the same level as the Canon R5, and it certainly can't touch the quality of medium-format. I've noticed that MF cameras are coming down in price, but when I look at the cost of lenses for them, I sadly have to admit that I'm never going to go beyond full-frame photography. I'd love to, as landscape/cityscape photography is my forte, and is the bread-and-butter of medium format, but the Benjamins aren't there for me. So the R5 is my best reasonable bet for moving up, and that leads me to asking about lenses.

I'm sure that my current stable of L lenses will produce better images with the R5 than my 6DII can, but I have to wonder how much resolution I may be missing out on by not buying R lenses that are made specifically for the mirrorless cameras like the R5. If the difference in quality is very noticeable, then it seems that my best bet will be to replace my current lens set on a very gradual basis, one lens at a time, perhaps over a two-year period.

My L lenses are not the newest, and may date back 10 years of longer. With a new camera system, is it time to for me to consider a lens overhaul? Thanks in advance for all advice and opinions.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow