Manual focus lenses on Nikon F100 and D810

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AdamoD New Member • Posts: 16
Manual focus lenses on Nikon F100 and D810

Hi all.

I’m looking for people’s experience using older manual only lenses on the Nikon F100 and on the D810. Now I know they work and they are really good, so let me explain a bit what I’m looking for from you folks....

I also shoot with an Olympus PEN-F and a 12mm manual focus lens. I find it to be FASTER than auto focus lenses! That’s because I can have the lens focused before I bring the camera to my eye. I use zone focusing. With such a deep field of view with micro four thirds and a little bit of memorization, it’s pretty easy. BUT, the PEN-F also has that feature where it tells you, based on contrast, what is in focus with colored edge lines. I think it’s called “peaking”. So anyway the camera itself makes using manual lenses super easy and basically bulletproof. Now my F100 and D810 don’t have the peaking feature. They do have the “green dot” but it’s not as articulate as peaking.

So then, does anyone have first hand experience using manual lenses on FF bodies including with film? How well does it work? Do you find that zone focusing is a must or can you focus using the viewfinder only? Can you really see super sharp focus? Seems to me that longer lenses would be easier than wide, but I was thinking about that 40mm Voigtländer and a Nikon 135mm AI lens.

I’m just a little concerned the lack on camera technology would detract from the success “hit rate”. Funny thing is, this was the old days! Grandma and grandpa made out ok, right.....

Anyway, thoughts?

adam

Nikon D810 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow