16-shot pixel shift shooting -- Unusable gimmic?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 34,022
Re: 16-shot pixel shift shooting -- Unusable gimmic?

fieldray wrote:

Pixel sampling issues are some of the most frustrating (sometimes impossible!) things to remove for me. The truth for me is that the 4x pixel shift is genuinely useful for dealing with color aliasing but I have not encountered a situation in my photography where spatial sampling with a 60MP array limits the effectiveness of my photography, so the 16-shot pixel shift is fun to play with but will not likely help my photography. This reminds me of some of the f#*lamda/p (Q) arguments we used to have designing space optics! Q=2 was our holy grail as there was by definition no aliasing, but from a practical point of view Q=1 or Q=1.2 was a better optimization. On some of our FLIRs with bigger pixels compared to the optics cutoff, sub-pixel shifting analogous to the 16-shot function on the Sony camera made a big difference in the final product

Q = 2 means two samples per Sparrow Distance, right? To do that with a Bayer CFA will take about two binary order of magnitudes decrease in pitch at reasonable f-stops. Or we could just stop way down...

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow