Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chrissi_82 Junior Member • Posts: 41
Would you recommend the KP?

Hi,

A post in two parts. Sorry.

Part 1 - Non-Pentax-related.

I look for a new camera mostly for travelling (city breaks (thnk Venice, Jerusalem), safari, rainforest (think gorillas, lemurs). I come from the Panasonic Travel Zooms which were and will remain a trusted companion. However, I have several pictures that would be worthy of a poster - but with the sensor size, they don't look that excellent in print. My main concerns would be affordability and weight next to image quality. I had the Nikon Z50 which ticked a lot of boxes - but it was not made for the jungle (I tried). Currently, my favorites would be the Sony A6600 (I can't really convince myself to pay 500 EUR more than for the A6400. And it's no jungle cam either.) and the Sony A7III (great camera, but if I build a lens ecosystem at my price point, I probably have to spent 3k EUR and still only have a 300mm lens at FF for the safari).

Part 2 - The Pentax question

I watched a documentary yesterday where they took pictures in the Antarctic region. I could clearly see the Pentax logo on the camera - and that got me thinking.
The Pentax models never really screened very high on my lists, probably due to weight and age. However, the KP would still be okayish (I had the Nikon Z5 for a while, and the difference would be roughly 50g). The lenses seem to be very affordable (a 16-50mm to walk around the city, the 18-135mm gorilla catcher and a 300mm safari lens). The main thing against it would be the weight (I'd probably look for another city camera) and the age. But I don't think that I'd need many of the features that have been introduced since then. USB looks a bit dated, and I don't know if I can charge with my powerbank.
The K-70 would even be cheaper - but does not have a silent shutter mode which is a must.
So now comes your expertise - can I strike a bargain with the KP and some used lenses? Would you have a view on this, please?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z50 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow