Veiling flare and the Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S 180mm f/5.56

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Rob de Loe
OP Rob de Loe Contributing Member • Posts: 920
Re: Veiling flare and the Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S 180mm f/5.56

AE Conrady wrote:

Well done and an I like your engagement towards the LF Componon. For your GFX, I would think that you are better of with a 24/36 180mm or 200mm tele lens. At F5.6 they would cover your sensor as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes indeed, some tele lenses for 24x36mm do cover the GFX sensor well. Simply by design they tend to larger image circles. GFX users who aren't shifting report very good results with some of these lenses.

The catch is I need lots of room for movement. A shift in landscape orientation of 20mm needs an image circle of at least 72mm, which is the size you need for 645 film. I have used Pentax 645 tele lenses on my outfit; the 645 FA 200mm lens is very good, but it's bigger and bulkier, and the Componon-S is actually a better performer at the apertures I use. The CPN-S 180/5.6 is so large that I haven't even left the "centre" when I'm shifting 20mm! On Pentax 645 lenses, a 20mm shift is right into the edge or beyond of the circle of good definition.

The other issue is mounting. I can mount anything that has the right flange distance on my Toyo, but each separate mount requires a custom lens board -- which adds expense and weight.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow