iTunes vs Music

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Saint 112 Senior Member • Posts: 1,629
iTunes vs Music

With my purchase of an MBA M1 I just got acquainted to Big Sur and its idiosyncrasies. My issue of the day is Music. I have been using iTunes for more than 15 years for playing music and I hated it since day one. Moreover it degraded steadily version after version (a habit with Apple). During all these years I have been looking in vain for a replacement.

With Music I was expecting the worse. It's actually even worse than that.

I have a legacy of more about 15,000 "songs" dispatched in playlists (thousands of them) contained in folders and subfolders. Each playlist has a specific layout according to the genre of music: which columns are displayed, in which order, in which width, etc. All this has gently migrated from one Mac to the next… but with Big Sur.

1. The GUI.

Well, it's in line with the trend: dull and bland. No surprise.

2. The default layout.

2.1. Why the heck the Songs are by default displayed as Playlists? I found no way to correct this idiocy.

2.2. How to get rid of this thing in a blue oval?

2.3. The columns are carved in marble: no way to change or to resize them.

3. The "Song" view.

Once I choose to display songs as songs (stupid I must admit ;-)) the default layout of the columns has nothing to do with the one I had before: not the right columns, not in the right width, etc.

This is whatit used to be in iTunes and was imported from my previous Mac:

This chore of putting things back to what they used to be takes at least a couple of minutes and I have thousands to do. It's almost as if I had a new soft.

Why the heck it didn't import the layout as well?

OTOH I must admit Music imported the content of the folders and the playlists. Good boy!

Are there any solution to the issue?

Does anyone have experience with Retroactive 1.9? Hopefully it allow me to use iTunes instead of Music.

I would be glad to pay for decent music player… provided it's able to import my playlists.

Nick

Saint 112's gear list:Saint 112's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 III
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow