16-shot pixel shift shooting -- Unusable gimmic?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Avery Robins New Member • Posts: 8
No

ahaslett wrote:

eques wrote:

AlephNull wrote:

I wouldn’t (yet) call it an unusable gimmick, but I do get the feeling that getting pixel-level sharp images will require preparation, organisation, and maybe a little luck.

It works handheld up to 1/60 s with an Olympus em1.3.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64061978

I keep hearing “oh, but it works perfectly on Panasonic” - I wonder if their merging of images does a bit of blurring, or smoothing, to eliminate problems in one shot of the sequence?

I am chiming in because coming from M43 I plan to move to FF. So this is an interesting topic, because I also consider the EM1.3 as an alternative to FF.

Peter

That’s not done by pixel shift. HHRes has IBIS on while taking each shot and off in between. As Magnar says you can get a similar effect by taking a burst with IBIS set to recentre between individual shots. You then need to merge the shots with a suitable programme that understands super resolution.

Andrew

I am sorry but it is wrong to say any camera can create in camera high resolution photos. Actually no Sony can.

If you are saying any camera can be used to take multiple photos that are later combined on a PC to create a higher resolution photo, that is true.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow