Confused with lens focal distances

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jbase New Member • Posts: 4
Confused with lens focal distances

Hello!

I got a Sony A6400 last summer. I shoot tabletop videos (electronics, educational etc) for youtube, also I play some piano and I shoot that too. For some time I was using the 16-50 kit lens, but then I decided to upgrade to something nicer. As the camera reports  current focal distance on the screen, I figured I needed a wide-angle lens, something around 17-25mm.

The first one I got was a Sigma Art 19mm F2.8 DN prime. There is no indication of DC/DG on this lens, so I figured it was full-frame. Hence, I expected the image to be zoomed in compared to the kit lens. Oddly enough, the amount of zoom on the Sigma 19mm prime appeared to be exactly the same as that of the kit lens set to around same focal distance (as reported on camera LCD).

The next lens I got was Sigma EX HSM DC F2.8 18-50mm Macro Nikon F (with a broken HSM motor which I don't need anyway as I am using a mechanical adapter -- and the price was only $60). Since the lens has DC in its name (which is APS-C friendly), I expected it to produce a more wide-angled picture compared to the first two lenses, or the same, at least. However, to my surprise, the image shot with Sigma zoom lens set to 18mm appears actually more zoomed in than that of the 19mm Sigma DN prime and the kit lens set to 18mm.

What am I getting wrong here, please?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow