Off grid charging idea

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Snap Happy Senior Member • Posts: 1,405
Off grid charging idea

I am planning a trip where I will likely be without grid power for a week. I already have an Omnicharge 20+ 20000mah powerbank with AC, USB C and DC outputs that is also able to connect to a solar panel directly (45W input).

I also have 2 26500mah Anker PD powerbanks. I don't want to get a large power station as I have limited luggage capacity, and I have no need for such a device outside of this trip.

I have been looking at solar panels but charging the Ankers from panels with an integrated USB outlet is typically limited to a 12-18W output.

The power banks are 97Wh so I reckon on needing 115Wh to fully charge one, so you're looking at 10 hours assuming the panel USB outlet can deliver 12W minimum consistently. I am going to have 12 hours of daylight but will be surrounded by hills so the duration direct sunlight is on the solar panel might be a lot less.

So instead, why not connect a car cigar lighter socket directly to the panels' DC output, and then use an in-car USB charger?

This should mean, given sufficient panel capacity, say 100W, and sufficient sunlight, I should be able to use a 30W or 45W PD cigar charger to charge one of the Ankers much more quickly. Since car chargers are designed to work with 12-24V input, and most panels are around 18V, I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Seems too simple, am I missing something here?

Snap Happy's gear list:Snap Happy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 100S Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +25 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow