300mm f4 PF + TC-14 III noisy AF while hunting in live view

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jack_photography New Member • Posts: 15
300mm f4 PF + TC-14 III noisy AF while hunting in live view

Dear fellow Nikon shooters, I was wondering if you might have some experience with what appears to be a rather odd issue.

My Nikon 300mm f4 PF emits a whirring noise while focus ‘hunting’ in live view mode when paired with a TC-14 III teleconverter. 
What is odd is that this only happens in live view mode, with the teleconverter attached and while the focus is hunting, i.e. distance scale window showing very slow movements.

When the AF is not hunting, but rather the distance scale window shows quick movements over a large distance to acquire focus, there is no whirring sound. Similarly, there is no such sound in live view mode when the TC-14 III is not attached or when focusing through the viewfinder (the lens rarely hunts when phase detection AF is used).

In the above circumstances where the noise is present, changing the aperture has no effect; the lens is equally noisy at the widest f5.6 and stopped down (for example to f8).

This is all happening on a D810 body that has not had similar issues with other lenses, with or without TCs. The same TC-14 III does not cause such sounds paired with the Nikon 70-200 f4.

I would be very grateful for your views as the 300mm PF lens is still within the return window. It was bought used and is otherwise performing well, so would not want to return it just because of the sound. However, if the issue is likely significant and could indicate likely failure of the AF motor or other defects, then I’d be keen to return it.

Many thanks for any comments/suggestions!

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow