300 f/2.8 II vs. 100-400 II vs. 2x III vs upscaling

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Arnstein Bjone
Arnstein Bjone Forum Member • Posts: 51
300 f/2.8 II vs. 100-400 II vs. 2x III vs upscaling

I (an amateur, 65 years, 45 with SLRs) just fulfilled a 10-year-old dream and bought a 300mm f/2.8 II (used, from MapCamera, Tokyo/eBay, 3.8 K US$). MapCamera is big on used and is the used-price-trendsetters, and serious and honest. Perfect communication.

I already had a 100-400 II. I knew that lens is fantastic, but I didn't know it was that good.

I did some tests, and instantly regret buying the 300 f/2.8 II. But, not anymore. I'm happy now.

I also had the ext. 1.4x III, but I now also bought the 2x III because my review-guru Bryan Carnathan (The-Digital-Picture.com) was "blown away" about the combo 300 f/2.8 II & 2x III. "....very, very impressive..."

Upscaling an image (i.e. enlarging it) has always been a swear word to me, but when I recently learned about PS's (Photoshop) relatively new image size resampler "Preserved Details 2.0", I have changed my mind. That resampler is simply astonishing.

Btw; I once had the 2x (I). I sold it, but it really belongs in the bin.

FYI; Enlarging a 50 MP with this method image take about 10-15 seconds on a powerful desktop. Downsampling takes a second.

I think I will keep the 100-400 II (because of weight and the "scaring" size of the 300), and both the extenders, but I'm far from convinced that I will ever use them anymore...

Shooting these images was of course done with a very solid tripod and MLU (Mirror Lock-UP) with 2sec. delay, and shutter delay of 10 sec. The wind was neglectable. The floor surface was a concrete parking lot roof.

Focusing was done with live view, with 16 times magnification, and double-checked with manual focus. I stepped away 10 feet after pressing the shutter release.

I'm really looking forward to your response to all this

Arnstein Bjone's gear list:Arnstein Bjone's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Samsung TL350 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +16 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow