Sony Xperia 5 II as a photo tool? handling, responsiveness etc.

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alex carlan Junior Member • Posts: 46
Sony Xperia 5 II as a photo tool? handling, responsiveness etc.

Hello

I'm interested in buying a Sony Xperia 5 II. In Europe, it's even 5 G.

The main reason: I want to reactive an older hobby with photography. I've had Pentax SLR's but they were too heavy and swapping lenses wasn't necessarily an enjoying experience. I still own some good compacts (Pentax Mx1 and Panasonic LX7) but sensor wise, they are dated. It seems that the role of older compact cameras has been adopted by smartphones with good photo capabilities, and, as far as I understand, Sony Xperia 5II has controls reminiscent of cameras, i.e. two step shutter (and a brilliant photo app). The option for Sony is strictly related to a ratio of price/photo features. Asus' flagship would be another choice, but I do want a 35mm jack!

What I cannot find in the various reviews is how does it handle photography-wise: what is the handling experience and general responsiveness (rather than mere focus times). How exactly is that shutter working? Can it be configured so emulate a shutter priority, for instance?. Typical reviews of smartphones don't go too much in depth with the photographic abilities and responsiveness of phones as photo devices. I also don't quite understand what the telephoto lens is doing... it is a fixed focal length (equivalent to 70mm?) or a zoom? I understand that it's a fixed one, but some reviews mention that "it helps with zooming" ???

I'd love to hear from those who own one what is the general shooting experience (I've seen the DxoMark scores). Or maybe if you know a review that examines closely this camera as a photo device, please share! I kind'of lost contact with the photo world in the last 10 years
With the hope that Lumix Lx100-3 will get a manual zoom ring and get rid of the zoom rocket, making it a convenient camera for me, I hope to replace successfully my compacts with a smartphone.

Thanks in advance!
P.S. I'm not much into filming, if this might be relevant.

-- hide signature --

aka Corax

alex carlan's gear list:alex carlan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax MX-1 Pentax K10D Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 II Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow