How much post processing is too much?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mark Sloe Regular Member • Posts: 364
How much post processing is too much?

digital technology gives us so many options to improve our photos in post, but sometimes it gives me a pause when i see a very long exposure of the sea with misty effect around the rocks under solid clouds playing with all the colours you can think of.

maybe i am naive, but to me landscape photography should be about capturing of a moment in space and time with its mood and character. post processing is a great tool to enhance the moment captured, perhaps give it an artistic twist, but the capture should reflect that moment at that place and should not be a blend of various images with an exposure on the subject taken at one time and place and the sky borrowed from a different image or "painted" into the capture.

we all use exposure, sharpening and colour tweaking locally or across the whole image. we blend multiple exposures with tools like exposure bracketing and focus stacking to get that dynamic range and depth of field we want. we discussed on this forum blending of different shutter speeds for capturing waterfalls and flowing water.

where do you draw a line to the extent of post processing?

-- hide signature --
 Mark Sloe's gear list:Mark Sloe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow