canon upgrade

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
xtam667 Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: canon upgrade

The stabilization alone was worth the upgrade to the 100-400 ii for me. I could not get below 1/500 sec with the 400/5.6. In contrast, 1/125 sec is easily possible with the 100-400 ii and that is perfectly good for stationary or slower moving subjects. Perched owls or chilling out big game in dim light come to mind where the advantage is quite significant. Sharpness and color are about the same, with the zoom slightly sharper in the center but falling behind in the corners. And then the convenience of the zoom, of course. I appreciate being able to find the subject at the wide setting and then zoom in as necessary.

I still like the 400/5.6 because it is light and compact but except for BIF the 100-400 ii beats it in every scenario.

The body upgrade is not as clear cut. If you find yourself focal length limited most of the time then you would feel the resolution loss. It is not as much as the 1,6 crop factor suggests but it's there. I would rather have in-focus lower res pictures more often thanks to the better AF of the R6 than higher res blur from the 7DMk2.

The 7DMk2 still holds the advantage in ruggedness, battery life, more consistent frame rate, and OVF in some situations. So there are quite many wildlife shooter who stick with it, especially birders.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow