I’ve changed over the years, have you?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kyle Logan Senior Member • Posts: 1,113
I’ve changed over the years, have you?

I’ve been reflecting lately on how my approach to photography has changed over the past 15 years. Just thought I’d share and was curious if anyone else notices changes in their preferences now.

The first thing I’ve noticed is that my attitude toward bokeh has shifted dramatically. When I  first starting I was completely enamored with that out of focus background blur and felt that good photographs employed a fair amount of bokeh. I no longer feel this way. I recognize that bokeh has its place, but I’m far more interested in the overall story of a picture now and frequently I find that means bokeh seems to done a lot now for bokeh’s sake when in reality I’d much prefer that the shot were done at smaller apertures to give more context.

The second thing I’ve noticed is how much more wider I shoot now. I used to shoot with a standard normal and dabble in telephoto. Now I rarely pick up anything longer than 35 and particularly enjoy ultra wide. I think it has to do with the fact that I’m more interested now in seeing some environmental context.

Lastly, I’ve completely gravitated toward people photography now. It’s to the point where if there’s not a person in the shot, I’m generally not interested. This differs greatly from when I began when I used to shoot subjects of all types.

Anyhow, just thought I’d share and I’d love to hear about other people’s journeys.

Kyle Logan's gear list:Kyle Logan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow