Passerines in flight with EM1iii?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
seanofford Regular Member • Posts: 461
Passerines in flight with EM1iii?

Hi all,

I am a birder who carries a camera mainly for record shots of the birds I see - not artistic masterpieces, just relatively decent shots for a record of what I've seen. I currently use a Nikon D500 with a 300mm lens and 1.4 converter. I'd like a system with more flexibility and reach for no weight gain so have been thinking about Olympus 100-400mm and 1.4 converter with EM1iii body.

My Nikon setup allows me to simply swing the camera up to any small bird flying over, no matter how small it is in the frame, and instantly get a burst of generally in focus shots. I would not want to give up on this type of photography as it has allowed me to record some quite unusual species during migration periods.

I was originally thinking about moving to a Sony A6600 and 200-600 lens but that's larger and about 800g more weight than my current setup.

I've no experience of the Olympus gear and wondered if it would be up to such situations? I know the D500 wil always be better but I could live with a small drop in the keeper rate as long as the Olympus setup still gave me a reasonable level of success.

Here is the type of photo I am thinking of. Both taken on murky winter afternoon with very poor light, but both providing a record of the species involved. Obviously neither are going to win any awards 😂.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Sean

Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow