tracking options

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Veteran Member • Posts: 7,850
tracking options

I'm doing untracked astrophotography using the 500 rule (seems to work well)......75mm (150mm EFL), comes out to 3.2 seconds per subframe. However I want to do longer exposures without stars streaking. The Sequator software I use offers an option to do 2x2 binning (reducing the resolution from 16 MP to 4 MP). It occurs to me this would also allow me to do 2x longer exposures without star trails since the resolution would be reduced by 2x across each dimension. My question is- is it worth it? Would reducing the resolution like this allow me to capture twice as many stars since I was doubling the shutter speed? If so, I could go even further and create files that were 4x4 binned (going from 16 MP to 1 MP or screen size) and thus make the shutter speed 4x longer or 13 seconds.....would this mean I would capture 4x as many stars? What is the tradeoff?

^that's for untracked photography on a conventional tripod.

Now, since I have the 8 SE I have its mount and I expect that even on this alt az mount I should be able to do a lot better with my camera OMD EM10 II and 75-300 lens? At 75mm how long of an exposure should I be able to do on this mount to get the equivalent of the 500 rule on a conventional tripod? At 300mm? How would I go about mounting this camera on it? Thanks!

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow