First shot with Wimberley Monogimbal and Monopod

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
janeenadamsmartin
janeenadamsmartin Contributing Member • Posts: 903
First shot with Wimberley Monogimbal and Monopod

I think this set-up is going to work!

I am not quick on the draw at snapping in my camera and pulling out the monopod legs yet, but once there, I can feel the added stability.

I can shoot with two hands on the camera, or with one one camera and one on monopod. I have full range of motion without needed to adjust any knobs - I can tilt, rotate, and even adjust height by simply walking forward and back. The monopod I selected has a ball foot, so I can articulate it in any direction. It is all very fluid.

I put a quick release plate on the monopod so I can take off the head -- but not sure I am going to need it. My L-bracket takes care of vertical shots using the monogimbal, and I don't see the need to switch out to a tilt-head or ball to get vertical shots. The heads weigh about the same, so I am not saving any weight.

My only concern is the arca-swiss plate I had to add to the 40-150pro -- it seems to twist despite me tightening adequately. Oly should have made the tripod collar arca-swiss compatible.

I tried it tonight, in falling light, on my backyard birds -- maybe 20 feet away. Not the best composition, but pretty darn clear at 1/60, which I don't think I could hand-hold before -- especially after holding the darn thing up for 20 minutes waiting for a bird!

I can't wait to try it in other situations where I know I have missed shots.

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow