ZV1 audio levels over HDMI to Mac - too quiet

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LeicaC Regular Member • Posts: 296
ZV1 audio levels over HDMI to Mac - too quiet

I am using a Rode lavalier mic and the Rode Wireless Go system to channel audio into my ZV1. When I record video to an SD card and then play it on my Mac, the audio is fine - I did some tests to work out the best range for gain on the Rode wireless receiver and in the camera. However, I also want to use this camera and mic setup for recording some "talking-head" college instructional videos. My setup for that is to send 1080 video out of the camera over HDMI and into my Mac through a video capture card, from where I wish to record the video/audio in either QuickTime or Camtasia. When used this way, I get great video but the audio levels on my Mac are far too low and totally unusable. I can improve this to some extent by jacking up gain on the camera and Rode, but I don't think I should have to do this and even at maxed out settings the levels are abnormally low. Surely the camera can send the same digital audio/video information it records to the SD card out the HDMI port instead? I expected to get the same result as with recording to the SD card and that is very far from the case.

I'm hoping someone on this illustrious Forum will have the solution for me, as if this is the best I can do I will not consider the money for this gear well-spent.

Sony ZV-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow