Why film vs. digital?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
charleyd Senior Member • Posts: 1,240
Re: Why film vs. digital?

I think photographers are already bored with digital. Too easy. I to have been taking photos since the late 50's. You really did have to know what you were doing using the camera and the limitations of the film you were using. You, as you probably know, had to be familiar with proper use of filters, Film..Color Negative Prints and B/W {Orthchromatic and Panchromatic} film. The various Chemicals used in developing the negatives or posivitives  to make the negative when developing slide film if you did your own developing and printing. The paraphnalia needed to handle the chemicals,  the paper and Enlarger, the lighting, gloves etc. In other words,a lot of knowledge had to be learned and put into practical use. Of course, firstly, you had grapple with learning how to take a photograph with this strange light collector in your hands. No easy task. Now...we pick up a wondurous digital device, raise it to our eye and hit the shutter button...Done. Transfer to the computer, import into digital software and work wonders, and send off to our printer...Done. So wonderful and relatively easy compared to yesteryear. The main thing we learned in the earlier decades, that is still useful today, is how to TAKE a photograph, mainly the all mighty COMPOSITION. Of course we also learned the use of aperature settings, shutter speeds, ASA of the film we were using and light metering and flash settings. That is my take on the question you ask.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
(unknown member)
Lan
Lan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
i8z
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow