Is added adapter similar to extension tube?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,534
Re: Is added adapter similar to extension tube?

Adapters are made to fill in the gap of the flange distance of specific lens mount. For instance, adapters made for using SLR/DSLR lenses to mirrorless cameras, just fill in the gap that was usually occupied by the reflex mirror. Of course, some mirrorless camera lenses can be adapted to other mirrorless cameras such as LTM to Sony E, etc.

A better explanation might be with numbers. The Canon EF mount flange distance (SLR?DSLR mount) is 44mm. The Sony E mount (mirrorless) is 18mm. The adapter thickness should be the Canon EF flange, subtracted by the Sony E mount flange distance. 44-18=26mm. The focal length of the lens doesn't change.

Here is the wiki page for flange distances for each camera mount. Link.

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

 Aoi Usagi's gear list:Aoi Usagi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D +2 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow