Stereokeh

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bosun Higgs Forum Member • Posts: 53
Stereokeh

When I was out taking "bokeh" images with my adapted lenses I noticed that in some cases the bokeh elements exhibited parallax effects as I was moving the camera to compose. This got me thinking.............

One of my other interests is stereophotography and, after seeing the parallax effects, I wondered if the bokeh blur itself would show 3D depth within its elements.

So I had go, and found there was a whole new world of undiscovered bokeh in there.

I call the technique "Stereokeh".

The following are stereo pairs arranged for crossed eye viewing.

Lots of depth in the two main background bloom

The background looks like green flames in 3D.

These are some of the less "wild" images that will be easier for beginners to view.

The images were taken with a Sony A7rII using a 2 inch Taylor Hobson 16mm cine projection lens adapted to Sony E-mount.

What surprises me is how much of the bokeh structure shows depth, 2D featureless blurs show complex structure when seen in 3D. I must admit to getting quite addicted to the technique, it was my main interest for quite a while.

The images are difficult to process and I have concentrated on bringing out the bokeh elements, consequently treatment of the "main subject" may suffer because of this. I also found that the A7rII does not seem to handle high contrast reds and purples well.

In truth, the bokeh was the main subject as far as I was concerned!

If you are not familiar with the Crossed Eye viewing method needed to view these images, look at:-

http://www.megalithics.com/3d_help.htm

and scroll down to the Crossed Eye section for help.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow