Epson 3880 - Black Ink

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Better-DY Regular Member • Posts: 102
Epson 3880 - Black Ink

So I managed to resolve an issue I had, but wanted to seek input to a work around I had contemplated to see whether it sounded possible and decent or like a bad idea.

So I generally only print on gloss-type surfaces using PK black ink cartridge. Had not switched to MK for matt prints in at least two years. However, as I had accumulated some nice matt papers from sample sets and the like, I decided to switch inks and spend 6 weeks printing just matt. I was pretty anxious changing inks but it seemed to work flawlessly going PK to MK without any head clogging or damper bust-type issues.

Then day before yesterday I switched back to PK to resume my more traditional use of gloss and luster-type papers for print. When the ink changed over, there was "zero" black ink that appeared on a test print. I did a nozzle check and then a head clean and still zero black was produced, just the light and light light gray. So finally, after two more head cleaning cycles the following day the PK ink came through again fine. My anxiety level was high as I already had had to service the printer once five years ago for about $400 and I'm probably not doing that again.

So here is my question. It occurred to me if the switch back to PK ink had proven unsuccessful, could I have switched back to matt black and then simply swapped the MK cartridge for the PK cartridge and just printed that way selecting matt print, but ostensibly printing on glossy/luster, etc. I am sure until the residual MK ink was purged through the line, the prints might have looked out of gamut or odd, but after a few prints would they look o.k.? I am very happy I didn't have to do this and candidly I feel reticent to try to swap again, but it did make me wonder about work arounds like that.

But I don't know how differently MK and PK inks may be blended and applied to different surfaces (gloss versus matt) so this may have been a dud of an idea. Appreciate any input from the Epson print experts out there. Thanks.

Better-DY's gear list:Better-DY's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow