Lens Recommendation for Landscape/ Travel

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Amateur Photog Junior Member • Posts: 26
Lens Recommendation for Landscape/ Travel

I have finally managed to upgrade my equipment to the Canon R5. A definite step up from my previous setup. I love it!! However I have a hard time choosing lenses. I know i want a 70-200 because i love details in a landscape shot and in cities when travelling. However I want an everyday zoom which i can use during hikes.

As i said i shoot landscapes and cityscapes during travel and hikes along with occasional portraits. I have reviewed my usage through lightroom. But because i am relatively new to the field of photography (5 years) and i am not a working pro i dont have a large catalog, so i did a little bit of research in 500px and flickr. About 900 photos both from my own and online were selected. I saw a little pattern. 14-35 range and 24-70mm range were pretty much equal but the range of 24-35mm (FF terms) was the most popular, mainly because in my previous setup my widest was 24mm but i had the tendency to prefer photos in that range as well.

In the UWA lens territory, photos came mostly from online, while only a few photos were mine from when i used a 14mm prime of a friend. However i have to confess that shooting at that range (14-20mm) is so hard for me because i dont see the composition. Even if i do and lets say shoot 50 different photos in that range, i will end up liking 1 or 2 only.

To sum it up i am a bit torn between two ranges and 3 lenses. Should i go with an UWA-WA zoom lens, meaning the 15-35, or go with a more standard zoom like 24-70. The third lens is the 28-70. I have found a great deal that puts it in almost the same price as the 24-70. However i am kinda worried about its weight (i dont want to visit a doctor for tentonitis) and above all about it being very noticeable in a negative way.

Based on this info (and sorry for the lengthy essay) what would you recommend for someone like me? Is the UWA lens worth investing over the standard or should i prefer the standard zoom for its useful range? And lastly is the 28-70 worth investing over the 24-70?

Amateur Photog's gear list:Amateur Photog's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow