Comparison of S-Cinetone and Slog3->REC709

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,599
Comparison of S-Cinetone and Slog3->REC709

So, Sony has offered a new Picture profile - S-Cinetone. They are touting it as a nice "cinematic" profile that requires no grading. But it has a least two stops less dynamic range than shooting in Slog3, which does require "grading.".

I do not know any professional videographer who does not do some "grading" But in any case, converting Slog3 to REC709 in post can be just a matter of using transforms of Slog3 gamma and gamut to Rec709 - two or three one-time settings in project properties in Resolve, for example. and you have a video that has used all the dynamic range and the wider color gamut. And, you could do more from there if you wanted., but you do not need to.

So, really, it is just a question if you are minimizing time in post, which look you like - REC709 from Slog3 or S-Cinetone?

So, how do they compare? This 4K 60P 422 All-I video contains a set of scenes that were shot twice - first using S-Cinetone and then using Slog3. In post, the S-Cinetone clips were untouched and the Slog3 clips were only converted to REC709 using Resolve color management transforms. Otherwise untouched.

If you are impatient,, the first two scenes (4 clips) will tell you almost everything you want to know about the differences.

The irony for me is the REC709-from-SLog3 clips look less like video than the S-Cinetone clips, because of the handling of highlights.

Camera: a7s iii. Lens: Sony FE24-105 F4. Settings: 1/125th shutter, auto ISO, and aperture to taste (but the same for both Picture Profiles for each scene).

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow