Disappointed in Profoto - Premium for name only?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jamie87 Regular Member • Posts: 166
Disappointed in Profoto - Premium for name only?

Let me preface this by saying I'm not looking to knock on Profoto for being priced the way they are. In fact I'm genuinely looking for a reason TO invest in Profoto.

To me the most important factor to a system is the light quality. I'm still in the camp that light is light but have been interested to see if l with light modifiers does brand makes a difference.

But I wanted to see how a £265 Deep Large White umbrella compared to my £35 PixaPro Large White Parabolic Umbrella. It possibly wasn't a good comparison and maybe a more complex modifier like a softbox would show more differences.

Straight out of the box I thought "Ok, the Profoto feels slightly heavier, maybe a sign of better quality" But on closer inspection it was weighted very similarly to the PixaPro. My biggest disappointment came when I realised the Profoto came with the old triangle style closing mechanism - you know, the one that hurts like a b*tch when you pinch your skin in it. My Pixapro has the newer squeeze mechanism similar to Elinchrom umbrellas. A much better design. I wont say that the build quality is identical between both these umbrellas as there were some differences in materials used - i.e the rods are sewn in better on the Profoto. The metal tips seem a bit more bulky on the Profoto. However, the black fabric was identical. Would the Profoto withstand a fall better than PixaPro, who knows - but I'd guess at no.

That being said, what about light quality? Surely thats where the Profoto magic comes into play right? Welp, To my disappointment it was practically identical to my PixaPro. No nicer lighter fall off, no silky smooth highlights.

So, is it worth paying nearly 8x times the price just for it to say Profoto on the side? For me, no. And I must say, its really put me off looking at Profoto for anything else

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow