Trying to Understand Telephoto Lens Magnification for Panos

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RadiantIris Forum Member • Posts: 73
Trying to Understand Telephoto Lens Magnification for Panos

Not sure that’s the right question to be asking, so I’ll just explain what I’m trying to do. I’ve done quite a few panos, mostly in the Northeast US where you have towns nestled within valleys, etc., where I’m only dealing with maximum distances of 2 miles. My go to lens has always been the 4/3 50mm f/2 and I’ve always been satisfied with the results and detail.

This time I’m planning a shot that involves much larger distances and guessing it needs to be a gigapixel shot and I’m not sure what lens I should use. I’ve included the below pic for reference.

sample view

The whole shot would be about 4 times wider than the above example. What appears as a tree line at the bottom of the mountain is 7 miles. The mountains are 22 miles. So, I’m envisioning a total of 15 miles wide and 25 miles deep. I wouldn’t be taking the shot from this location due to obstructions (not all in this pic), but about 3 miles north on the same range.

What I don’t understand is how to calculate the focal length I need for the distances involved. Whatever lens I use will need to be rented, the longest prime I have is the 150mm f/2. Under optimum atmospheric conditions, the mountains in the background can be clear, I just don’t know if I can get “close” enough.

Anyone have any experiences shooting panos at these distances? Any ideas on how to best approach this would be welcome.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Vic

RadiantIris's gear list:RadiantIris's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Dan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow