Is the original A9 still worth getting in 2021?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rel75 New Member • Posts: 14
Is the original A9 still worth getting in 2021?

Hello all.

I love my Sony a7iii and have captured some wonderful images with it.  However I've recently got asked to photograph some skateboarders and may be called upon to do more as time goes on. They need the shots for their sponsors.  It was a very fun shoot.

This and photographing a professional dance show a while back exposed one weakness in the a7iii for me.  It's not the best for these types of situations.  I got some great shots but more often than not, it felt like it was just a half step behind the action.  It was still workable but I missed some moments even though my finger was pressing the shutter.

I had a brief talk with a professional photo journalist about cameras this summer and she was a Sony shooter.  She swore by the a9ii. Said she never missed a thing. At 20fps, that's some serious speed.

I decided to see if trading up to one of those was feasible but that's one very expensive camera.  However the price of the A9 would be very manageable.

I recently came across an opportunity to trade in some gear and acquire a lightly used A9. The gear would include trading in the a7iii but both seem to render nearly the same image quality.

My concern is the age of the A9.  The a7iii is long in the tooth so stepping into an A9 which is older may be a backwards move in some ways. And the A9 iii is just around the corner. I definitely won't be able to afford that.

So to those of you that have shot with one, is there still life left in the old A9? Or am I hurting myself going with an older model?

Rel75's gear list:Rel75's gear list
Sony a7 III
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow